The PA elastomers are block copolymers consisting of PA 12 segments and polyether segments (polyether block amides or PEBAs). Products rich in PA 12 have the basic properties of that polymer. With increasing polyether content the elastomer character becomes more marked: The polymers are more flexible and have higher cold impact strength.
Compared with competitive thermoplastic elastomers, VESTAMID® E compounds are distinguished particularly by the following properties:
- low density
- good resistance to chemicals and solvents
- ease of processing, coloring, and overmolding
- very easily decorated by heat transfer printing
- excellent low-temperature impact strength
- hardness and flexibility can be varied over wide ranges
- high elasticity and good resilience
- only slight temperature dependence of mechanical properties
- free from volatile or leaching plasticizers
VESTAMID® E compounds are suitable for precision injection moldings, such as noiseless gears and functional elements of sports shoes, as well as for high-performance extrusion components like paint spray hoses, vacuum brake booster lines, and high-quality decorative films. We can provide you with unstabilized or heat- and light-stabilized material, according to your requirements.
Evonik has developed a transparent VESTAMID® polyamide elastomer for the manufacture of high-quality high-tech sports shoe soles.