VESTAMID® D, the polyamide 612 (PA 612) from Evonik, is the polycondensation product of 1,6-hexamethylenediamine and 1,12-dodecanedioic acid (1,10-decane dicarboxylic acid). Although the carbonamide group concentration is slightly higher than in polyamide 12, it is significantly lower than in polyamide 6 or polyamide 66. VESTAMID® D molded parts therefore have virtually the same valuable properties as VESTAMID® L parts:
- high toughness
- excellent resistance to greases, oils, fuels, hydraulic fluids, water, alkalis, and salt solutions
- excellent resistance to stress cracking, even when subjected to chemical attack and when used to encapsulate metal parts
- Low sliding friction coefficient and high abrasion resistance even under dry conditions
The advantages over PA 12 are as follows:
- higher heat deflection temperature (the melting point is almost 40°C higher)
- higher tensile and flexural strength
- excellent rebound resilience combined with high wet strength
The PA 612 compounds of the VESTAMID® D series are therefore specialties supplementing the extensive product range of the PA 12 compounds of the VESTAMID® L series. The excellent rebound resilience is advantageous in the bristles of toothbrushes, as is the high heat deflection temperature for short-term temperature spikes such as occur, for example, in hydraulic clutch lines in vehicles.
FIND THE RIGHT POLYMER!
We offer a broad portfolio of products tailored to different requirements. Compare the properties in our plastics database.
The high heat deflection temperature also makes VESTAMID® D polyamide compounds suitable for plastic-rubber composites, as in door lock casings, housing covers with seals, and seals for spark plug tubes.